One of the LINKS’s missions is to contribute to developing solutions for a more sustainable city model. The Foundation acts in cities and communities to accelerate reaching sustainable development goals (SDGs) within 2030.
Cities face unforeseen challenges and opportunities, brought about by phenomena such as climate and demographic change, economic and financial crisis, technological innovation and the arduous exit from the emergency state that stemmed from the pandemic towards a new normal.
The intrinsically urban dimension of these and many more challenges placed cities at the centre of the international political agenda and LINKS Foundation decided to offer its contribution to the urban question with the following strategic operations:
- Promotion and awareness of the role of cities and communities in reaching SDGs and making a positive change.
- Recognizing solutions to have stakeholders’ actions converge towards cities and communities, promoting a transition towards a more sustainable model and jumpstart change.
- Promote actions with more potential for ramping up the speed towards reaching SDGs, identifying good practices and promoting their spread.
- Accelerate towards objectives through specific alliances and joint actions, creating and consolidating strategic partnerships.
- Measuring results of joint actions and identifying concrete results towards SDGs, with particular attention to social impact.
LINKS promotes socially inclusive cities that look towards including many actors, accessible and fair cities, economically vibrant and inclusive cities, collectively managed and democratically governed cities.
The proposed model is a city that promotes a coherent territorial development, regenerating and resilient, with shared identities and a sense of belonging. LINKS encourages well planned cities, easy to traverse on foot, aware of Transit Oriented Development (TOD) principles, safe, healthy and promoting wellness, cities that learn and innovate.
The focus goes towards planning circular economy to a local level and promoting new enterprise sustainability and circular individual behaviour forms.
The field of activity is composed of key areas for raising awareness on critical questions and stimulate positive urban changes, both by promoting political dialogue and dialogue with public administrations to support a mindset change and spreading good practices, and by identifying and testing innovative solutions.