optiTruck is an “Innovation action” project, co-funded by the Horizon 2020 Programme of the European Union under the “Green Vehicles” call (H2020-GV-6-2015). The goal of optiTruck is to bring together the most advanced technologies from powertrain control and intelligent transport systems in order to achieve a global optimum for consumption of fuel (at least 20% reduction) as well as other energy sources and consumables while achieving Euro VI emission standards for heavy duty road haulage (40t).
The optiTruck project, coordinated by ERTICO – ITS Europe, aims to:
- Develop demonstrators to be tested in real environment: i.e. trucks equipped with real-time emission monitoring connected together with other sensors or data sources to the powertrain control unit of the truck for further processing (data fusion/predictive module) (to be on-line with Euro VI);
- Develop predictive intelligent modules based on predictive navigation and other environmental data;
- Develop software for the fusion and the optimisation of engine calibration mapping and powertrain control;
- Carry out real-environment trials with two demonstrators:
- One truck equipped with the current state-of-the-art techniques to collect the consumptions of fuel and other consumables to be used as the baseline data;
- One truck equipped with the proposed system to demonstrate on real road the reduction of fuel and emissions under different transport missions.
- Undertake validation and impact assessment to show the minimum 20% fuel reduction;
- Develop strategies for larger deployment of the proposed system within and beyond the project.