Project Description

WHL UNESCO Application “Opere di difesa veneziane tra XVI e XVII secolo: Stato da Terra – Stato da Mar occidentale”

Start Date: 05/08/2008
End Date: 31/07/2017
Web Site: unesco-venetianfortresses.com/candidatura

The project involved technical and scientific coordination of the application process for the UNESCO World Heritage List of the transnational serial site: “The Venetian Works of Defence between 15th and 17th Centuries: Stato da Terra – Western Stato da Mar”.

The main goal was to elaborate the nomination file and management plan for the property, in close connection with the Italian Ministry of Cultural Heritage and other specialist; in addition communication and dissemination activities were held.
Key issues concerning the project are history of the architecture, enhancement and management of cultural and natural resources, communication and promotion.
The project was strongly characterized by transnational elements, as the property involves Italy, Croatia, Montenegro and spread for more of 1000 Km from the Lombard Pre-Alps, the system continued in the Venetian hinterland, affected the Friuli plain and stretched along the eastern coast of the Adriatic Sea up to Dalmatia. The route identified the neuralgic area – historically known as the Gulf of Venice – in which the exceptional defensive project took shape spreading the Venetian culture in the territorial areas included between the western defense outpost (Bergamo, Italy) and more access to South to the Adriatic Sea (Ulcinj, Montenegro).
The network consisted of fortifications, forts, fortress town and defensive systems with different functions, morphologies and environmental context. These examples of architecture and city planning also provide different solution in order to testify the great techniques of military engineering moreover their own historical situation. The tangible and intangible heritage of this network is a sort of “file rouge” which links fiscally and conceptually Italy, Croatia and Montenegro.

In 2017 the site was inscribed in the World Heritage List, during the World Heritage Committee of Krakow.