LINKS hosts a Virtual Reality Laboratory (VR LAB) who merge 3D artists/ICT competences and cutting-edge devices with the aim to explore and valorise the potential of Extended Reality technologies to be applied in different sectors, including cultural heritages fruition/protection & first responders training.
The VR LAB develops 3D models, graphic animations, VR / AR simulations and data processing algorithms, and bring within national and international research projects the following capabilities:
- Design of 5G, Virtual and Augmented reality-based systems to improve accessibility, sustainability and protection of Cultural Heritage.
- Realisation of Virtual Reality interactive simulations for land and emergency management operator education.
- Realisation of 3D models to support digitization processes of works of art and monuments.
- Realisation of composite digital products to support digital tourism and virtual visiting in addition/integration to traditional visit tours.
- Studies on immersive digital products to support the formation of artisanal, manufacturing and industrial skills, and employee training for evacuation and security procedures in factories.
- Gamification processes and tools to support education, communication and popularisation campaigns through innovative digital products.
The laboratory consolidated in time many collaborations with the main actors in the territory such as:
- Italian Air Force (Terzo Stormo)
- Turin Polytechnic (DAUIN, DIATI, DIST and DISEG departments)
- Many Italian and foreign businesses
The laboratory can host interns and thesis students, supporting dedicated education paths in a collaborative and innovation-oriented team environment.